Recent free range, low-fructose
• What is the IndieWeb?
* Your content is yours. * You are better connected. * You are in control.
Music interview | Autechre has been making great, challenging experimental electronic for a long time. (via lectronice)
• The Rise and Fall of the Electronic Music Mixtape in America.
• Homeless in Seattle. A five-part series.
There will only be more homeless people in the future, the professor said. More and more people will find themselves unable or unwilling to go along with the program. They too will be surplus …
• On July 4, The Juno spacecraft begins orbiting Jupiter.
This week’s Internet radio | 60s-80s guitar rock, British invasion?
To hear WORM Boston, Plug into: h t t p : //184.108.40.206:9150/
• A glimpse at restoring a deluxe minicomputer from the mid-70s. (Xerox Alto)
• Man gets a refund on a pair of security cameras. A few days later, he’s watching the new owner’s home.
• Love hardware, DIY, electronics? Hackaday sez it’s growing by leaps and bounds. Cuz making your own crap is WAY more fun.
Podcast NPR: Why the US resisted chip credit cards for decades. (18min)
• Utah sheriff spends $10,000 for a smut-sniffing dog.
• 6 in 10 links are shared without being actually read. Because it’s not how you feel, it’s how you look!
June 21 2016 | 50ya: (pirate) Radio City owner Calvert attacks and is killed by (pirate) Radio Caroline owner Smedley. | 30ya: An 8-foot wooden man is burned on a SF beach.
June 22 2016 | Democrats in the US House hold a sit-in to get some action on Gun Control. #NoBillNoBreak #GoodTrouble #Holdthefloor. | 40ya: Canada votes to end capital punishment. | 37ya: Founding of Infocom; publishes Zork 1 in 1980.
June 23 2016 | Britain votes to leave the EU. Now we face a month of trying to figure out who gained, and what. | 40ya: Release of film Logan’s Run. | 25ya: Release of Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis.
June 25 2016 | 140ya: Custer’s Last Stand. | 25ya: Slovenia leaves Yugoslavia.
Example of Internet-age Un-news headline | “A Volcano in Iceland May be Close to Erupting.”
Riiiiiiiiigghht. Might’ent they all? And Elvis May be Close to Recuperating.
I think hard times are coming when we will be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now and can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine some real grounds for hope. We will need writers who can remember freedom.
– Ursula LeGuin