• A California woman won $10,000 from Microsoft in small claims court after Win10 bricked her machine.
• George Orwell’s PERFECT cup of tea.
• The short story and long life of the Elcaset tape deck.
A paperback-book sized cassette … quarter-inch tape at double the speed … topped all but the best of the pro decks.
• Way too often in film, Gender-bent == Villain.
• Ever heard the air ‘crackling’ during an aurora display? Finnish scientists say it’s not in your head, but 250 feet over your head. And they have lots of recordings.
• This French horticulturist created more than 200 varieties of lilacs… among many others.
• The rare gas helium has been found bubbling out of the ground in Tanzania. An estimated 54 billion cu. ft. of it! (The world uses about 8 BCf per year.)
• What musician doesn’t wanna join a United States military band?
Dept. of Wallpaper | Moss forest, Japan
This week’s Internet radio | Soma FM offers 30 ‘channels’ for your listening pleasure, with several bit-rate choices.
EG Cliqhop (right-click-to-copy-link) offers “blips’n’bleeps backed w/ beats.”
| Oh, and … I’ll just leave Xiph directory here.
June 26 2016 | 60ya: In New York, the US FDA begins burning the books, papers and journals of psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich.
June 27 2016 | 50ya: Goth soap opera Dark Shadows debuts on ABC. And Frank Zappa releases first album Freak Out!. | 30ya: Release of Jim Henson movie Labyrinth.
June 28 2016 | 47ya: The Stonewall Uprising. Stonewall just became a National Monument. | 170ya: Adolphe Sax patents the saxophone.
June 29 2016 | 80ya: NBC broadcasts the first HD TV (343 lines) from atop the Empire State. | 60ya: Eisenhower signs the law that creates the Interstate Highway System.
July 1 2016 | 75ya: NBC broadcasts the first official TV commercial. For a watch. Bulova pays $9.
If these people are sane, as they believe themselves to be, let us all hasten into what they would call insanity.
— Ajnabi, medieval Sufi teacher