• Famous landmarks shot from the wrong direction. (Scrolls sideways.) Guess, then click.
• Crauwels’ museum-class MusicMap plots pop music by decades and genres.
Long articles for major genres include audio playlists. Zoom into each genre to see how it has evolved. Graphic, interactive, multiple access tools.
• Switching between challenging tasks is not a good idea, neuroscientists say. Switching “leads to a buildup of stress.”
Instead “people who take 15-minute breaks every couple of hours end up being more productive, says Levitin. But these breaks must allow for mind-wandering.”
If I’m really focussed, I miss my subconscious tapping on my shoulder. When I take a break to do nothing, better solutions often offer themselves.
Related book: An Essay on the Psychology of Invention in the Mathematical Field. Jacques_Hadamard, 1945. ISBN 0-691-02931-8
• “I Miss My CDs”
“ There’s no guarantee of permanence or stability in the streaming atmosphere,”
• Seattle makes the list of US Top 10 worst traffic cities. Worst in the world? London. As a nation, USA leads the world.
Notably missing: places where few people can afford cars. Don’t often hear about worst bicycle traffic. Or rickshaw or sampan or yak.
• With the price of Starbux being gentrified 30 more cents, there has to be a *lot* of room for a dollar cuppa biz.
• A stroll over the vistory of elevated walkways. (More at MeFi)
“ For the two largest ‘indoor cities’ in North America, Minnesota and Calgary, you can now walk up to 11 miles along its paths without stepping onto the street below.”
(What, you didn’t know Minnesota is a city?)
(Possible parody song: You’ve Lost That Gerbil Feeling.)
• John Higgs (KLF), heavy on Robert Anton Wilson. (via johncoulthart.com) Related: Festival 23.
• Composer, author David Toop. (via johncoulthart.com) His blog. David’s book Ocean of Sound saw 28 editions from 1995-2008.
Propellerheads only | The History of the URL.
July 3 2016 | 130ya: The Benz Patent Motorwagen is the world’s first purpose-built auto.
| 25ya: Release of James Cameron’s most excellent sequel sci-fi action film Terminator 2. With more music by Brad Fiedel, who made 24 synth tracks for The Terminator.
Wolfie’s fine, dear. Where are you?
July 4 2016 | 50ya: NYC’s The Lovin’ Spoonful, led by John Sebastian, release US smash hit Summer in the City. One of the first to use live audio samples.
Same day, the Beatles are tossed outta the Phillipines for avoiding Imelda Marcos’ party. Rumor is she went and cried crocodile tears in her shoes. While Ferdinand just stacked more gold bars. That Ferdy was such a good provider.
July 6 2016 | 25ya: Release of Linklater film Slacker
July 9 2016 | 100ya: The NYTimes notes that Europeans are starting to wear bracelets with clocks on them.
| 60ya: DJ Dick Clark takes over as host of a Philadelphia TV show called Bob Horn’s Bandstand.
| 20ya: Release of the first soundtrack album for the film Trainspotting.