Trek’s 50 !
– Consider the role that the politics of Star Trek played in the success of the series.
– On the lighter side, how the Captains have ‘rocked a bold look’.
– On the practical side, how to stream all the shows.
– The Register opines why maybe it’s just time to move on.
• A little history:
– Liftoff, Sep. 8 1966
– The original opening and theme
– Roddenberry on To Tell the Truth (1974)
– Ultimate fansite: Memory Alpha
– Trek movie music
– 13 SF authors recall how the show influenced them.
Also 50 this week: Beatles album Revolver, and ABC-TV scifi show The Time Tunnel.
Warp’s week …
• The ever-charming yet deeply-concerned Facebook has deleted a post by the Prime Minister of Norway for a world-famous news photo capable of upsetting one or two members of its sensitive majority. /s
• Stubborn landlord mom won’t raise the rent on her San Francisco apartment.
• You’re how old? NYTimes explores workplace ageism.
• Don’t let your rental car remember everything your phone tells it.
• The privacy wars are about to get worse.
Sep. 7, 2016 | Paper cut: The Newspaper Association of America changes its name to the News Media Alliance.
• The bulldozers were stopped in North Dakota, where at least 6 protestors were bitten by dogs. (More) (More)
• Seattle’s bike Batman beats the cops to bike thieves.
• Lego’s problem: Business is too good.
• The Pirates are a political force in Iceland.
• Lucky Strike. 36 in a row? Officially, it has only happened 21 times. Bill Fong’s going for it. (long)
• The 2015 best-novel Hugo went to Liu Cixin’s The Three-Body Problem, the first English translation to win the award.
(The 2016 award went to N. K. Jemisin novel The Fifth Season.)
• Take the word uncopyrightable. How many letters are repeated?? It’s tied for longest with dermatoglyphics.
• DIY downhill ‘gravity train’ ride in Colombia. Watch out for 14 miles of stray livestock and weeds!
Bonus: DIY train #2 … motorized.
• HARD TO SAY IT? Ask VOA: Browse by region to learn to pronounce names, places. (English transliterations)
• Before the 1920s alarm clocks were rare. Instead, there were window-tappers.
• State of the Art: clips of the Top 50 Dance/EDM hits in August 2016. Top 3: Chainsmokers, Bieber, Rihanna.
• Life pro tips: moving day etiquette.
• Coming up:
– Sep. 24. Nirvana’s album Nevermind and the song Smells Like Teen Spirit are 25 years old.
Turns out Cobain’s friend, riot grrl Tobi Vail wore Teen Spirit deodorant.
Dept. of Wallpaper | Milky Way in Oregon.
QUOTE Aging means giving up, de-accessioning, and knowing that wealth and worldly achievement count for little. Like urban life, it makes you feel a nobody. Paradoxically, it also makes you feel alive. (*)